Genesis 18:22-33
Tim Jin
Genesis 18:17 The Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, 18 since Abraham will surely become a great and mighty nation, and in him all the nations of the earth will be blessed?
God reveals to Abraham what he is about to do to Sodom and Gomorrah to teach him of His justice and righteousness.
Genesis 18:22-33 Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, while Abraham was still standing before the Lord. 23 Abraham came near and said, “Will You indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; will You indeed sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous who are in it? 25 Far be it from You to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and the wicked are treated alike. Far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?” 26 So the Lord said, “If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare the whole place on their account.”
Genesis 18:22-33 Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, while Abraham was still standing before the Lord. 23 Abraham came near and said, “Will You indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; will You indeed sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous who are in it? 25 Far be it from You to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and the wicked are treated alike. Far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?” 26 So the Lord said, “If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare the whole place on their account.”
.
32 Then he said, “Oh may the Lord not be angry, and I shall speak only this once; suppose ten are found there?” And He said, “I will not destroy it on account of the ten.” 33 As soon as He had finished speaking to Abraham theLord departed, and Abraham returned to his place.
Abraham models how we ought to pray: By Affirming God's Character, Pray Confidently and Expect God to Answer. In this passage, God is Just and Abraham affirms that God will not act outside His character.
v.23 “Will You indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked?"
Abraham models how we ought to pray: By Affirming God's Character, Pray Confidently and Expect God to Answer. In this passage, God is Just and Abraham affirms that God will not act outside His character.
v.23 “Will You indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked?"
God's Justice doesn't allow Him to treat the righteous and the wicked alike.
I. PRAY CONFIDENTLY.
v.27 And Abraham replied, “Now behold, I have ventured to speak to the Lord, although I am but dust and ashes.
Even though Abraham knows that he is but dust and ashes before the Lord, he can still pray confidently. He is also persistent in his prayers.
Notice that Abraham ends his prayers in questions while we normally end our prayers in statements. "To question God is to Trust Him and to Believe in Him" ~ loosely quoted from William Varner.
Notice that Abraham ends his prayers in questions while we normally end our prayers in statements. "To question God is to Trust Him and to Believe in Him" ~ loosely quoted from William Varner.
v. 25 ...Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?
II. PRAY SPECIFICALLY.
II. PRAY SPECIFICALLY.
"Definite prayers are greeted with definite answers." ~loosely quoted from Professor Rosscup.
v.24 Fifty
v.28 FortyFive
v.30 Thirty
v.31 Twenty
v.32 Ten
Abraham asks for specific numbers and God answers him.
III. PRAY EXPECTANTLY.
We can't change God's will.
But, might God have acted differently if you had not prayed? I venture "yes."
Example: George Muller.
But, might God have acted differently if you had not prayed? I venture "yes."
Example: George Muller.
What next? You'd expect Abraham to ask for God to save Sodom with only 5 righteous. Ultimately, it's about saving that 1 righteous person. But God leaves.
Genesis 19:4-7 Proof that the city is wicked.
Genesis 19:12-21The Angels are still intent to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.
Abraham expected one of two possible options:
Either the Cities fall or the Cities stand.
God's Resolution: The Cities fell and the Righteous lived.
God was faithful to act according to His unchanging character.
Genesis 19:4-7 Proof that the city is wicked.
Genesis 19:12-21The Angels are still intent to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.
Abraham expected one of two possible options:
Either the Cities fall or the Cities stand.
God's Resolution: The Cities fell and the Righteous lived.
God was faithful to act according to His unchanging character.
Let what you know about God's Character Drive your Prayers.