Pastor David Yu.
Philippians 1:1 Paul and Timothy, bond-servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, including the overseers and deacons: 2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, 4 always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, 5 in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now. 6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. 7 For it is only right for me to feel this way about you all, because I have you in my heart, since both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers of grace with me. 8 For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:3 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you,
- Paul gives thanks that they've remembered his ministry.
Philippians 1:4 always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all,
- Paul offers thanks OFTEN and with GREAT JOY.
3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.
- Paul gives thanks that they've remembered his ministry.
Philippians 1:4 always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all,
- Paul offers thanks OFTEN and with GREAT JOY.
3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.
- What moves us to joy?
Fellowship: A sharing in common.
Paul is joyful because they are partners in the gospel.
Philippians 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
- Paul is convinced that the Philippians will persevere to finish what God had started in them. Paul did not have to be anxious over the church at Philippi. God is the one most interested in completing the work.
Paul cultivated deep affection from doing ministry together with these Philippian believers, It was the participation together; spending time in the trenches, sharing the gospel.
Philippians 1:8 For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.
- The affection that Paul has stems from Jesus Christ.
What do we give thanks for? Is it aligned with what Paul gives thanks for?